FIRST- my sister is in town!!! (what a week she chose to come, huh? but at least she is here to help while Tripp is sick). We are enjoying her so much... I'm gonna hate when she has to leave :(
Tripp was still running fever and feeling terrible yesterday, so Dr. Defusco and I agreed that I should probably bring him in and have some tests run. We went to her office and saw her first. She looked in his ears and felt his tummy, and we talked about what's been going on with him. I told her that I just had a bad feeling because he'd been running fever and feeling bad for so long- and all I kept thinking about was if he had pneumonia or a blood infection and we were overlooking it. So we decided to have some blood work and a chest x-ray done.
Getting blood work wasn't as bad as I thought- he's got a great vein in the side of his head (Thank GOD because it would be out of the question to try and draw blood from anywhere else). I held his head really tight on my chest, and they drew it very quickly. Of course, he threw a fit- but they did it so fast that it wasn't that bad. But the chest x-ray- terrible. My sis and I had to physically hold his whole body still while he was throwing a FIT. He got about 3 new blisters on the back of his head. Ugh.
So, the blood work was okay. Dr. Defusco said that if his WBC (white blood count- which indicates an infection) was above 20,000, that she was going to admit him into the hospital for IV antibiotics and fluids. But his WBC count was at 14,000. His hgb (hemoglobin) and his platelets were significantly elevated. This can either indicate an infection or dehydration. She said his platelet count was at 900,000. Normal levels are around 500,000. This means his blood is clotting well, but very thick and she said if the level gets over 1.5 million, then you worry about his blood not moving around well. But these findings didn't really tell us much- the Chest X-ray was what showed he had a touch of pneumonia in his left lower lobe. SO at least we have somewhat of an answer, but she said that if he doesn't improve in about 24 hours, she might have to put him in the hospital if he doesn't improve. He got a shot of Rocephin and is going to be on an oral antibiotic for the next 10 days.
So, that's where we are. He's still sleeping now. But I will let you know what happens. Please keep him in your prayers that he will improve and we DO NOT have to admit him. What a nightmare. Thank you guys:)